Are mascara/lash primers a need or a nah? I personally think they are a definite “NEED!” It makes such a huge difference in how my lashes look when I use a primer. There are so many on the market so I thought I’d break it down for you.
What do they do?
–Thicker, fuller lashes
If you’ve never tried a primer before, I recommend starting with one at the drugstore. You won’t have to spend a whole lot, you’ll get good results, and if you decide you don’t want that added step in your routine, you aren’t out a whole lot.
- CoverGirl Lash Blast Amplify, $9.49
- This is BRAND new and I am dying to try it.
- Catrice Glam & Doll Volumizing Mascara Primer, $6.99
- L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Primer, $7.99
- FAVORITE. I’m on my second tube of this and it’s the best. I’ve tried expensive ones, but this one is the absolute best.
- Wet n Wild Photo Focus Lash Primer, ~$3
- A good affordable option and it’s OK, but not my favorite.
- I can’t find a link online, but I’ve seen it in multiple drugstores.
- J. Cat Beauty Love Live Lash Primer Mascara, $5.99
- NYX Big & Loud Lash Primer, $6.99
- Ulta Lash Primer, $10.50
- MAC False Lashes Maximizer, $19
- Tarte Opening Act Lash Primer, $22
- Urban Decay Subversion Lash Primer, $22
- Smashbox Photo Finish Lash Primer, $23
- Lancome Cils Booster Mascara Primer, $25.50
- This one is great, but I think the L’Oreal works just as well and is much cheaper.
- Clinique Lash Building Primer, $17
All of the aforementioned primers are white in color. I’ve heard people have issues with a white primer + black mascara=gray lashes. Obviously, that makes sense, but it’s never been a problem for me. I pile on the mascara and I’ve never had any issues with gray lashes.
However, the makeup industry listened and brought us tinted primer. I personally like the white because I like to see where I applied it and I can make sure that my mascara has covered it.